Tuberculosis (TB) Requirements
Your health professional college may require that you be tested for Tuberculosis (TB). This requirement may involve a 1-step skin test, a 2-step skin test, and/or annual testing.
1-step skin test - also known as a PPD. This is a two stage process. In the first stage 0.1 mL of purified protein derivative (PPD) is injected into the top layers of skin of the forearm (PPD Give). In the second stage, 48-72 hours after the PPD Give, a certified health care professional will evaluate the area by noting the amount of swelling (PPD Read). It is very important that the PPD Read occur within the time frame of 48-72 hours after the PPD Give. PPDs that are read outside of this timeframe are considered invalid and will not meet the TB requirements of your health professional college.
2-step skin test - A 2-step PPD involves getting two 1-step skin tests done in rapid succession, usually about a week apart. The second test will give a more accurate result, based on a "boosting" of the body's response.
Submission of tuberculosis skin test records
- Student Life Student Health Services (SLSHS): PPDs that are both given and read at SLSHS are automatically added to your health record and communicated to your health professional college. No further action is required.
- Other health providers/clinics: Documention of PPDs given and/or read at other facilities will need to be provided to SLSHS. Upon receipt the information will be added to your health record and communicated to your health professional college. **Allow 10 business days for processing. Documentation can be:
- Uploaded via MyBuckMD
- Faxed to (614) 292-6001
- Delivered in person to SLSHS, 2nd floor Central Desk
Obtain a tuberculosis skin test
If you are in need of a PPD in order to meet the requirements of your health professional college, SLSHS offers two options:
- Walk-in PPD Clinics - no appointment required. These are scheduled each semester. See our events page for dates and times.
- Schedule an appointment with the Preventive Medicine Nurse at SLSHS. Appointments can be scheduled:
- Online via My BuckMD (Select Health Professional Student for the appointment reason)
- By Phone with Advice/Appointments (614) 292-4321
- In Person with Advice Appointments