Patient Rights and Responsibilities
You have the right to....
- Be treated with respect, dignity and consideration of your cultural, psychosocial, spiritual and personal values, beliefs and preferences.
- Be free from neglect, exploitation and mental, physical, sexual and verbal abuse while under the care of Student Life Student Health Services (SLSHS).
- Receive the best care available without regard to national origin, race, age, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, disability or illness.
- Know the identity and professional status of individuals providing your care.
- Obtain information concerning your diagnosis, treatment and prognosis including a list of current medications.
- Be informed about the outcomes of care, including unanticipated outcomes.
- Have your pain assessed, treated and managed appropriately.
- Participate in decisions involving your health care.
- Refuse care, treatment or services in accordance with the laws and regulations, understanding the medical consequences of such action.
- Refuse participation in research studies.
- Expect confidential treatment of disclosures and records and approve or refuse the release, except where required by law.
- Experience a safe and accessible environment.
- Receive an itemized statement of the services including charges and payment policies upon request.
- Communicate concerns and/or recommend changes in policies and services.
You have the responsibility to...
- Provide accurate and complete information for proper evaluation and treatment.
- Follow recommended treatment plan, ask questions or discuss concerns when you do not understand or agree with the treatment plan.
- Be respectful and considerate of other patients, SLSHS staff and the facility.
- Follow appropriate rules and regulations.
- Keep appointments or to notify SLSHS when you are unable to do so.
- Fulfill financial obligations in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with your health insurance coverage and provide information necessary for appropriate provider referral, if needed.