Testing will continue to be an integral part of our safety protocols as students return to campus this fall. By identifying COVID-19 cases early, we can take action to limit the spread of the virus. For more information click here.
- Pre-Arrival Testing: All domestic students living in university-managed housing, as well as sorority and fraternity members on the Columbus campus, will need to complete an at-home COVID-19 test within seven days before they return to Ohio State. Additional details about this process will be shared directly from the Office of Student Life.
- Move-In Testing: All Columbus campus students who will be on campus for any reason and all residential students on the regional campuses will be required to test for COVID-19 when they arrive. Move-in testing is not available at SHS.
- Weekly Surveillance Testing: Currently, unvaccinated students — including all students on the Columbus campus or and regional campus students who live in university housing — will be required to test weekly as the academic year begins. Students who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 and reported their status to the university will not have to test. We will continue to monitor the impacts of variants of concern and may need to adjust the testing requirements for vaccinated students as new information is available. Once House Bill 244(link is external) goes into effect on October 14, we will test vaccinated and unvaccinated students with the same protocols.
Beginning the week of August 9th saliva testing will no longer be offered at Student Health Services. All salvia testing will be conducted at Jessie Owens North.
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, students can be tested with an order from a Student Health Services medical provider or a referral from the contact tracing team. Testing is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Making an appointment is required to help maintain physical distancing and reduce student wait times.
To obtain an order from an SHS provider:
- Schedule via My BuckMD
- Select appointment reason, TELEHEALTH - COVID symptoms
- This will schedule a telehealth appointment with the provider.
- SHS provider will call you during your Telehealth appointment to address your medical concerns.
To schedule a testing appointment:
- Call 614-292-4321
- This will not create an appointment with a provider, rather sign the student up for an assigned testing time.
Note: If you are unable to schedule via My BuckMD, please try these tips:
- Switch browser to Google Chrome (most up-to-date version)
- Clear browsing history
- Conduct from a laptop or desktop
After your specimen is collected, you are required to self-quarantine in your residence and may not return to normal campus activities until your test result is available. This time frame may vary, but most results should be available between 2-3 business days after the specimen is collected. This brief self-quarantine is required out of an abundance of caution because it is possible to be infected with COVID-19 and have no symptoms.
What To Do If You Have a Positive Result
If you receive a positive test result, please do not panic.
- Proceed directly to your residence, avoid contact with others and make sure you are wearing a mask at all times. If your roommate is in your room, please maintain at least six feet of physical distance and both of you should wear a mask.
- You should also strictly avoid contact with anyone who is immunocompromised.
- Student Health Services and our student support team will contact you to assist with the next steps, including determining the best place for you to isolate, either on-campus in dedicated housing or at your home. Please note that you may not be contacted until the next morning if results are received later into the night.
If you have recovered from COVID-19 and have been symptom-free for 28 days, you can help others by donating your plasma. Visit this web page for more information.