Coronavirus (COVID-19) typically causes symptoms that are similar to influenza (the flu) and other viral illnesses. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Fever greater than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit
- Muscle pain
- Severe headache
- Runny nose
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Recent loss of taste or smell
- The vast majority of patients have mild/moderate symptoms and don't require hospitalization
- People at highest risk for severe illness from COVID-19 include those with pre-existing pulmonary disease, immune-compromised, infants and the elderly
If you're seriously ill, seek medical attention from your health care provider or the Emergency Department.
How To Stay Healthy
As always, the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, patients and visitors is our top priority. The best way to protect yourself is to practice routine hygiene etiquette:
- Wear a mask
- Wash your hands often with soap and water (20 seconds or longer) or use hand sanitizer (60-90% alcohol)
- Stay home when you are sick
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid crowds and large gatherings
- Get adequate sleep and eat well-balanced meals
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when you sneeze or cough
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands or after touching surfaces
- Clean and disinfect "high-touch" surfaces often
- Anyone who is seriously ill should seek medical advice from a doctor or emergency department
For self-care information, if you become ill, please visit this CDC page.
To assist students, faculty, staff and visitors the university has launched a Safe and Healthy Buckeyes website. The site includes information and details related to physical distancing, campus readiness, classrooms, workspaces, housing, dining, personal protection and hygiene, mental health and wellness resources, travel and several other areas.
The Ohio State University is doing everything possible to keep our Buckeye community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Follow this link for updates and FAQs for the different areas of Student Life.
For more information, visit the university’s coronavirus webpage.
For additional questions call the Ohio Department of Health - 1-833-4ASKODH (1-833-427-5634) or visit the ODH Website.
More information can be found at CDC.gov/coronavirus