Mumps, Mumps, and More Mumps!
Posted: April 21, 2014
Sick with mumps? Sick of hearing about mumps? Sick of school but still have to finish? (sorry, can't help you there) Unfortunately, mumps is still with us. As of April 15, 2014, the number of cases of mumps in central Ohio has topped 200. If you want detailed information about the illness, here it is.
Submitted by JoHanna D'Epiro, P.A.
And if you feel like reading, here is list of references used to develop the presentation:
- Rubin, S., Link, M. Sauder, C., Zhang, C. Ngo, L. Rima, B. Duprex, W. 2012. Recent Mumps Outbreaks in Vaccinated Populations: No Evidence of Immune Escape. Journal of Virology 86:615-620.
- Public Health England. The Green Book, Immunisation Against Infectious Disease. Mumps (2013)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Mumps Epidemic --- Iowa, 2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55(13);366-368.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) BAM! Body and Mind. 2010. Immune Platoon Disease Database (Mumps)
- Dayan, G., Quinlisk, M. ,Parker, A.,et al. Recent Resurgence of Mumps in the United States. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2008; 358:1580-1589.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Measles, Mumps and Rubella - Vaccine Use and Strategies for Elimination of Measles, Rubella, and Congenital Rubella Syndrome and Control of Mumps: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recommendations and Reports. 1998; 47.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) The Pink Book: Course Textbook. Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. Slide Set Mumps. 2012.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2010: understanding and improving health. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services; 2000.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Mumps Epidemic --- United Kingdom, 2004-2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55(07); 173-175
- WBNS Ten TV, Columbus Ohio.
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) The Pink Book: Course Textbook. Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases: Chapter 14 Mumps. May 2012
- Conniff, R. A Forgotten Pioneer of Vaccines. The New York Times May 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/health/maurice-hilleman-mmr-vaccines-forgotten-hero.html?_r=0
- Merrsch, J. Mumps 2012 Medicinenet. Retrieved from: http://www.medicinenet.com/mumps/article.htm
- College of Physicians of Philadelphia: The History of Vaccines. Mumps. Retrieved from: http://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/mumps
- Anis, E., Grotto, I, Moerman, L., Warshavsy, B., Slater, E. Lev. B. Mumps outbreak in Israel's highly vaccinated society: are two doses enough? Epidemiology Infectious. 2012;140:439-446.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Research: Epidemic of Mumps among Vaccinated Persons, the Netherlands. 2009-2012. 2014; 20(4)
- Albrecht, M. Mumps. In: UpToDate, Rose, BD (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA 2014.
- Defendi, G. Mumps. Medscape Author: Germaine L Defendi, MD, MS, FAAP; Chief Editor: Russell W Steele, MD
- Gupta, R., Best, J., McMahon, E. Mumps and the UK epidemic 2005. British Medical Journal. 2005;330:1132
- Roush, S. (Editor) Center for Disease Control (CDC). Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Disease. Mumps, Chap. 9. August 2012 Mumps Chap. 9.
- Ogbuanu, I., Kutty, P., Hudson, J. et al. Impact of a Third Dose of Measles-Mumps-Rubella Vaccine on a Mumps Outbreak. Pediatrics. 2012; 130: pp. e1567 -e1574.
- Stokes, J..U.S. Army Medical Department Office of Medical History. Chapter 6 - Mumps.